The Tryggevælde Runestone, dates to about 900 AD. Before coming to Copenhagen in 1810, the runestone was moved in 1555 from a barrow to the Tryggevælde estate on Zealand, Denmark. It is unknown what the cause of the holes in the stone was.
Similar to a few others also found in Sweden, the inscription ends with a curse against anyone who was to move or destroy the runestone.
A Ragnhildr, Ulfr’s sister, placed this stone and made this mound, and this ship(-setting), in memory of her husband Gunnulfr, a clamorous man, Nerfir’s son. Few will now be born better than him.
A warlock(?) be he who damages(?) this stone
or drags it (away) from here.
There has been considerable disagreement regarding one of the words of the curse, which is usually translated to either “warlock,” “wretch,” or “outcast.” Warlock is generally the most widely accepted.
Courtesy & currently located at the National Museum of Denmark, in Copenhagen. Photos taken by Skadinaujo.